- Open to citizens of any country
- Must have completed a doctoral degree (within 2 years post-doctorate from the time of application submission to desired department) or will do so prior to commencing fellowship
- The doctoral degree obtained must be from a university other than the University of Alberta
- At the time of application, must not hold a postdoc position or be employed at the University of Alberta
- Fellowships may be awarded in departments without doctoral programs, but only where facilities are adequate and doctoral calibre research is being carried out
- Killam/Notley Fellowship holders should be likely to contribute to the advancement of learning or to achieve distinction in their profession, should not be a one-sided person, and each scholar's special distinction should be founded upon sound character and collegiality.
- Fellowships are only tenable at the University of Alberta
Application procedures for both the Killam and Notley fellowships begins with a Postdoctoral Fellowship Application.